The VALIDATE Network - Vaccine development for complex intracellular neglected pathogens
Research Methods workshop, Stellenbosch, South Africa (Crick/UCT/University of Stellenbosch)
Dates: 27-28 Jan 2018
Location: Stellenbosch, South Africa
Application deadline: 8th January 2017
The workshop is aimed at postdoctoral scientists or MD-PhDs interested in becoming leaders in health research, especially those intending to submit a Crick African Network Fellowship proposal or those recently in receipt of funds who need to develop a research protocol. Although the emphasis of the Crick African Network is on communicable diseases, areas of research for the workshop can include all infectious and non-communicable diseases occurring in Africa. All types of study could be postulated including cohort, pilot and observational studies, clinical studies and pathogenesis studies.
The goals of this workshop are to:
1) Increase knowledge within postdoctoral researchers of the principles of good study design, in order to give them the tools needed to yield valid results and proceed with a research program;
2) Develop researcher-proposed study concepts into more advanced proposals by completion of the workshop;
3) Expose participants to the spectrum of challenges in research design and proposal writing, including common pitfalls and mistakes;
4) Provide an understanding of the relationship between statistical concepts and design of research;
5) Develop a cadre of well-trained researchers whose experience will foster improved study design;
6) Identify candidates for Crick African Network career accelerator awards to be advertised subsequent to the workshop.
Researcher applications from the Universities of Stellenbosch and Cape Town will be prioritised and will be entitled to all costs for meals, accommodation and tuition over the period of the workshop. Early-career researchers from elsewhere in South Africa and Africa will also be entitled to the similar costs of the workshop but the allowance for transport may be limited.
Find out more about this course and how to register here; application form here.